The prevalence of asthma and other allergy issues is certainly cause for concern in most families. The home is, surprisingly, a terrible place for those who suffer from allergies. The biggest culprit is often the HVAC system. Since the system is often out of sight and out of mind, many people do not think about it much until something catastrophic occurs.
In the HVAC system, the air ducts are the most likely carrier of allergens. Mold, dust and mildew can build up inside of the ducts exacerbate allergy symptoms. Cleaning the ducts is a solid choice.
How often should you clean your air ducts?
Good question. There is no absolute, but there is an association, the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, recommendation of every three to five years. Those who suffer severe allergies should obviously consider cleaning more frequently.
There are a few considerations you should have when it comes to cleaning your air ducts. King’s Cleaning Solutions recommends the following as signs you should have your ducts cleaned.
- Build up – The vent register, where the air comes out, can be your first clue. Build up around these is obvious and quickly noted.
- Debris around filter areas – Again, same as before. Watch for unnecessary build-up.
- Dirt – We do not recommend climbing up and checking for dirt in the air ducts. Let us do that based on some of the other factors we have mentioned.
- Things coming out of the vent – When the HVAC system kicks in, see if there is any junk coming from the vents.
- Bad smells coming from your vents.
- Vermin infestation – including critters and waste.
In these instances, cleaning your ducts is very important. Other reasons to clean your ducts include:
- Moving into a new home;
- After building a home;
- After a remodel;
- If residents have serious allergies.
It is a good idea to schedule cleaning now if you have never had it done. We at King’s Cleaning Solutions look forward to working with you.